Note: If you are a co Iyer or Iyengar you'd understand few terminologies easier :P
Well never in the past have I had a situation to talk about me being a Tam Bram! Like yeah I am one, but not the 'abhishtu' types! I am one happy 21st century Iyer and no qualms about that ... except the fact that some things in me are verrrryy iyer... like a cat has claws going tuk tuk tuk when it wants to defend itself!
Likewise I too have shades of Iyer-ness in me... and why am I talking about it? cos I am proud of that! yup I am an Iyer with a tattoo and streaks on hair and have done all the jazz in life, but when i go to a temple i dont miss wearing a pottu nor do i touch my hair cos its supposed to be 'theetu'!! hmmm ... I am not the kinds who walks around behaving like a dumb F **& Iyer but I was brought up by my patti and thatha and they were people of 'that' generation and some values just rubbed off on me!
Like the other day I attended a funeral, uh no i actually went to the cremation ground (girls are not supposed to go but well I did!) ... and while i was about to leave for home i told my mom suddenly ' ma we forgot to leave a bucket of water outside!' ( thats cos when you come back from a funeral you are supposed to wash your feet outside and then get inside the house) .. to this my aunt retorts saying ( in smart english) ' what you saying? who ever follows that! Chill chill, skip things with time!' and for this i just said ' soryr patti brought me up this way!' ... lol now that shocked my mom but she was proud :P
Anyway similarly, the other day during the solar eclipse.. I was at office and my show was bang in the middle of the Grahan... I stopped eating at 2 as told by mom and was sitting around.. Now some ppl at office had ordered food and that came by 6 ( grahan had ended then) so i was like ' oh food!, ok give me a minute i'll go do 'prokshanam'( where you sprinkle few drops of water on your head to signify having taken bath- this is in cases when you cant bathe rightaway) and come'... At this my friend burst out laughing , cos she found it ridiculous to do so! she went on to eat without doing anything... Well i didnt explain it to her cos she wont get it... but for me my rules are rules and much as I may eat stuff with egg and crap... deep down I am very much an Iyer... Anjana Iyer!! Hmmmph!!
Signing Off
Me!! :)
Well never in the past have I had a situation to talk about me being a Tam Bram! Like yeah I am one, but not the 'abhishtu' types! I am one happy 21st century Iyer and no qualms about that ... except the fact that some things in me are verrrryy iyer... like a cat has claws going tuk tuk tuk when it wants to defend itself!
Likewise I too have shades of Iyer-ness in me... and why am I talking about it? cos I am proud of that! yup I am an Iyer with a tattoo and streaks on hair and have done all the jazz in life, but when i go to a temple i dont miss wearing a pottu nor do i touch my hair cos its supposed to be 'theetu'!! hmmm ... I am not the kinds who walks around behaving like a dumb F **& Iyer but I was brought up by my patti and thatha and they were people of 'that' generation and some values just rubbed off on me!
Like the other day I attended a funeral, uh no i actually went to the cremation ground (girls are not supposed to go but well I did!) ... and while i was about to leave for home i told my mom suddenly ' ma we forgot to leave a bucket of water outside!' ( thats cos when you come back from a funeral you are supposed to wash your feet outside and then get inside the house) .. to this my aunt retorts saying ( in smart english) ' what you saying? who ever follows that! Chill chill, skip things with time!' and for this i just said ' soryr patti brought me up this way!' ... lol now that shocked my mom but she was proud :P
Anyway similarly, the other day during the solar eclipse.. I was at office and my show was bang in the middle of the Grahan... I stopped eating at 2 as told by mom and was sitting around.. Now some ppl at office had ordered food and that came by 6 ( grahan had ended then) so i was like ' oh food!, ok give me a minute i'll go do 'prokshanam'( where you sprinkle few drops of water on your head to signify having taken bath- this is in cases when you cant bathe rightaway) and come'... At this my friend burst out laughing , cos she found it ridiculous to do so! she went on to eat without doing anything... Well i didnt explain it to her cos she wont get it... but for me my rules are rules and much as I may eat stuff with egg and crap... deep down I am very much an Iyer... Anjana Iyer!! Hmmmph!!
Signing Off
Me!! :)

Very cute dear!!! I do follow such things n many people find it ridiculous..
ReplyDeleteAnu
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletei can see a lot of arrogance in this than just a talk about sticking to tradition.. which is not new as i see that in all bloody brahmins. You talk about values... coming from a community where they call the elders and even their own mother with a third degree 'ava varuva, ava vandhuta' etc. very funny!
ReplyDeleteInteresting blog!! No idea how I stumbled onto this page though....anyways, how come I don't meet tambrams like you around!! only the annoying and pissing off ones!!......oh yeah i have all the right to curse our fellow people!!
ReplyDelete